Saturday, June 13, 2009

PIC32 Devlopement Board

This post is about the board i assembled for experimenting with pic32. You must be wondering about why not use PIC32 USB starter board from microchip ? Well the answer is bcoz it doesn't have enought IO pins. I have to shell out another $72 for pic32 io expansion board. As I need io pins for interfacing more stuff to the board like MMC card etc. so i chose to assemble the board myself at home.

It isn't very difficult to do so. Only tricky part is soldering pic32 chip on to a tqfp64 pin breakout board. Breakout board for 64pin tqfp chips available cheaply. It cost around Rs 60/- ie. around $1.5 :-).

Here is the circuit diagram from the same :


Here is a snap of the finished board. Well it doesn't look pretty but it works :-)







Have fun !!!

NOTE :
1. According to pic32 manual, 10uF connected to VCAP should be a tantalum. In my board it's not a tantalum.
2. USB_JP needs to be configured correctly as per the host or device mode. This board doesn't support auto-detection for Dual-role. For that you need to use USBID & VBUSON to switch 5v intelligently.

11 comments:

Jason Kajita said...

Nice blog. I added your blog to my blogroll. http://mchpjasonk.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Wonderful work bytewerx!!!
I'm working on my own board too, and is really nice know I'm not the only one trying to do so.

jack said...

best of luck for your project and do pass me a link to your completed project.

alberto said...

Hi Jack...

I noticed that you used tqfp64 pin breakout board from robokitsworld, but, when I get to their site they produce that board for ATMega128. I looked at the specifications of ATMega128, and is a 12 x 12 x 1 Chip, with a .8 mm pitch. I looked at the package for PIC32MX440F512H and is a 10 x 10 x 1 mm chip with a .5 mm pitch... Could you tell me where did you get the tqfp64 board from?

Also, in the first picture there is another small board... What is that for???

What is the pitch for the male pins at he edges of the tqfp64 pin breakout board?

Sorry for my ignorance, I am about to ask for the parts and I want to make sure I have everything I need.

Some Soldering tips???

Thanks a lot...

jack said...

@alberto:
Board was from http://robokits.co.in/
I think it was "http://robokits.co.in/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19_20&products_id=162" but not sure.
Confirm before ordering that itz 10 x 10.

Boards in the 1st two blog posts are same. 1st one just describes the webcam aspects and 2nd one gives the schematic of the board.

jack said...

@alberto:

it was "LQFP64 & LQFP32 Header Board" at "http://robokits.co.in/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19_22&products_id=130"

U2005K said...

Hi Jack,
Are you still in Banglore? I need to talk to you if you can share your contact details. Please send email to u2005k(a)gmail(dot)com

Willy said...

Hi, nice project!!!
I was reading the Microchip datasheet, and D+ a D- (usb datalines) on the chip are not 5V tolerant. The camera you have communicate at 3.3V. There is a later added level shifter?
Thanks again for sharing. Waiting for your answer.

Unknown said...

AMAZING!
Are you still working on it?
I cannot download anything, can you share it another time?

top erection pills said...

Somebody essentially help to make critically posts I'd state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and up to now? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this actual publish extraordinary. Wonderful job!

erectile dysfunction drugs said...

If you desire to grow your knowledge just keep visiting this website and be updated with the most up-to-date information posted here.